Medical Postcard from New York City, November 2022.
It was a great pleasure to be able to travel to America again and meet up with colleagues and share information about Covid, overdose, etc.
1. America to catch up with rest of world on community methadone.
2. Report on first twelve months of New York’s first injecting centres.
3. 'Bernese’ transfer methadone/bupe being done do-it-yourself.
4. New guidelines for protection of children when cannabis legalised.
5. 100th birthday of Dr Joyce Lowinson, addiction treatment pioneer.
6. Death of Dr. Mitchell Rosenthal, Phoenix House Founder.
1. America to catch up with rest of world on community methadone:
1. Product composition
2. Packaging and labeling
3. Advertising and marketing
4. Manufacture and sale
5. Marijuana use
6. Sale and distribution to youth
7. Use of tax and penalty revenue for public education, prevention, treatment, monitoring, and provision enforcement
The speakers detailed the available data from various states which legalised cannabis first and detailed recommendations for each of the above issues.
[from CNN on related matter:] Just this month the NY State legislature is considering applications for cannabis licences which fall into numerous categories for growing, wholesale, retail, etc with rules about labelling, sites being away from schools, etc. One weird provision which seems to be non-controversial is that generally, licence holders must have had at least one previous cannabis conviction. Go figure!? This is a country of contrasts to be sure! The pp slides are available on request as the speakers had detailed data from interviews with hundreds of citizens in numerous states in the process of legalising cannabis for recreational use.
A psychiatrist, he was an early apostle for treating drug and alcohol addiction with group therapy in a residential setting. [click below for link]